Thursday, May 29, 2008

Steve update ~ Surgery was 05/20/08

Thought I would put in a note here for those of you still praying for Steve. They are both hanging in! Praying you home, We love you both!

Wed. May 28,2008
365 feet, one step at a time. That's how many steps Coach was able to take last night. Any of you who know him well, know that he is NOT a quitter. He is quite the overachiever, in fact. So, last night was his first night on the 6th floor after surgery. I had been sleeping next to him on a cot every night prior to his surgery, so I figured once we returned to the 6th floor, it would be the same. Not quite. You see, he is still in a lot of pain. He can't sleep in one position for long. The nausea is unbearable at times, and his coumadin levels are high right now. Last night at one point, I leaned forward to help him, and he had gauze shoved up his nose because he was bleeding (they are working on the levels). His lasix intake is high, because they are still trying to get some of the water off of him. From the waist up, he looks like he has lost about 20 lbs. However, because of his split sternum, he needed help getting his legs into bed because he had to guard his torso. He was looking for me to help raise his legs up into bed in a nice smooth manner... didn't happen. He kind of gave me the "what happened" look.... I nicely explained that he was sportin' about 20 extra lbs. of water in those legs, and nothing was happenin' smoothly at this point. WE LAUGH A LOT THROUGH ALL OF THIS!! I left the hospital this morning, after about only an hour of sleep. I went to my brother-in-law's house to climb into the bed that I call "mine" for right now. My sister-in -law, Katie, has been so gracious through all of this. She brings me healthy food, and walks with me, and lets me talk about "stuff". Our devotions today, were from Romans 12:2 .".Let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think." Frankly, my attitude stunk this morning. It's on days like today, that I have to make a conscious effort to change my attitude. I am competitive, and I don't like it when I allow Satan to control my thoughts. So, I had to get out of "isolation" today... and enjoy the sunshine and some alone time with God. Our I.V. therapy nurse has become such a terrific friend. She has invited Steve and I up to her home for a "date night" once he is discharged. She said something profound to me today. She said... Monica... Steve's needs are great right now... he is NOT your patient... he is your Husband. Let us meet his needs here... you meet his needs emotionally and physically. Wow! why hadn't I thought of that? God brought "Suzie" to us about 3 days after we arrived in Spokane. She just returned from a mission trip in El Salvador. She is an angel. God just keeps bringing them to us. Through the nurses, through the doctor's, and through all of you. Thank you for standing in the gap for us on days like today, when, at times, we don't even have the strength to draw our swords. We love you.... and we continue with victory. Our blessings are abundant!Love, Mon

1 comment:

tisha said...

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well.
Tisha