Thursday, May 8, 2008

Orphans & Heart Tranplants = BitterSweet

In this world you are an orphan - eagerly anticipating your adoption as God's child.
In this world you are a widow - longing for reunion with your Bridegroom.
In this world you are a stranger - a pilgrim waiting to become a citizen of heaven.
And in this world, God has called you to care for the orphan, the stranger, and the widow.
C. Thomas Davis

As we are praying for our little ones so far away I can't help but think of the circumstances that happen to them before they will get to us. Praying for the many people that will touch their little lives and those that maybe should have and never will. It is just not a simple process. Adoption is not for the faint of heart, but nor is the giving up of your child. (some have no choice: death, poverty or even starvation) Even though this is a challenging chapter in our lives how could we say no? We can't! Pure and faultless religion is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress. James 1:27
I also think of my sister in law and her husband in prayer much right now, also bittersweet. He is in need of a heart transplant; someone has to die and be a donor and be a match for this to happen. NOT a simple process either. As we pray for a heart I can not help but pray for the person would have to donate their heart and their family as well. It has made that little "are you a donor" on my licence become more real. Both Tracy and I have always been and now would ask you to take a look at your and if you have no reason's against it, PLEASE look into it, pray about it, and save a life when you are no more. I think some just don't think about it and so don't until it may be becomes real in their lives with a situation. So, look now and say "yes" if you would.
I just finished reading a book that talks about Christs Red Letters and in this was the statement:
for evil to win, simply do nothing! Sometimes we get overwhelmed or fear may be the cause but doing nothing in many aspects of our lives just lets evil win with out even a battle. Lets get in the battle; love our Lord; sing praises to Him alone; and to God be the Glory!!

4 comments:

Rob and Candy said...

Hey! We are are donors! I said a prayer for Steve.
xxoo
candy

E said...

I've prayed a few times for Steve. So sad and hard...there really aren't words and I don't even know Steve! Praying for your family and for a miracle. I know what this "miracle" will mean in the life of another family - as, you're so right to point out that it will mean the loss of another person's life to save Steve.

I think what you shared about orphans profoundly hits your heart when you're in Ethiopia. The reality of the gain and the loss and the pain and the hope all come to a head - it's a lot to process...be prepared! :)

Erica

Team Dragovich said...

Jori, thank you for checkin' in on us... I haven't have time to check in with people until now, and here I come to say "Hi!" and I am blown away with all that your family is experiencing right now!! When I was asked my opinion of birth parents in our homestudy-- I just started crying. To have to face that sort of sacrificial love-- to release my children to another because I could care for them... it is too much to think of.
And then to see what your sis-in-law and husband are going through right now and the absolute surrender and faith they are living in-- the kind of surrender God wants us to live in ALL the TIME, but so often we only give Him "a part"... I am praying for your family and I thank you for letting us share in your journey!!
Hugs,
Shari

PS... I am an organ donor, too! :)

Hannah said...

Jori. You quoted both of Tom Davis' books in your blog, so I was really curious if you know him.: ) (He's my bro-in-law.)

I also am a donor! When I think about situations such as this that are very complex, it always helps me to remember that our God is brilliant! I pray He does a miracle for Steve in His way.
Thanks for remembering the fatherless and the orphans.
with joy,
hannah
hannah@hopechest.org